October 31, 2019 | News
Part of the work of PHPC’s Session (the leadership body of the church) is to discern and set the vision for the congregation. Three years ago, that work involved creating and adopting a new vision statement: Trusting All Belong to God, Living Like we Belong to One Another. This statement is the heartbeat of our congregation and sets the tone for who we seek to be as followers of Jesus Christ.
In the spring of 2019, using the vision statement as a guide, the Session adopted a new set of strategic goals for the future of the church. These goals are based on recommendations from a goal-setting team made up of currently serving Elders and reflect the movement of the Holy Spirit in the church.
As Elder and goal setting team member Mindy Baxter writes: “Your Session has been listening and dreaming and planning and listening some more. Throughout this process, we have kept God in our hearts and minds. What does God want from us? How we can we honor and thank God? And how can we shine God’s light into the broader community while also nurturing those already at PHPC?
What does all that mean for you? Over the next few months, the Session will work with appropriate councils to develop a process for examining and implementing these goals. Taking into consideration size and scope, the goals have unique timelines from two, to five, to years, and beyond. Stay tuned for more as we work!
If you have questions about the goals, please reach out to a member of the goal-setting team (Rick Wyman, Melanie Sumrow, Mindy Baxter, Caroline Stevenson, Jim Finley) or one of our Executive Team (Rev. Sarah Johnson, Rev. Mark Brainerd).
PHPC STRATEGIC GOALS:
1.) PHPC'S SUNDAY EXPERIENCE REFLECTS A VIBRANT COMMUNITY OF FAITH
- Sunday morning and evening worship allows all generations to thrive together.
- There is noticeable increased energy and sense of belonging among the congregation.
- Worship attendance increases.
- Our members grow as disciples of Jesus Christ.
- Worship reflects a more diverse congregation.
- Visitors feel seen, valued, and included.
2.) PHPC REFLECTS THE LOVE OF JESUS CHRIST IN DALLAS AND BEYOND
- PHPC is a catalyst for change for Dallas families living on the margins.
- PHPC leads the effort in breaking the cycle of poverty in Dallas.
- The voices of those long silenced are named, heard, and valued.
- PHPC’s investment in Dallas is a priority, and includes expertise, time, and money.
3.) PHPC BECOMES A CENTER FOR EDUCATIONAL AND SPIRITUAL
- PHPPS explores ways to meet the expanding needs of working families in the DFW area.
- PHPS nourishes mind, body and spirit.
- There is greater awareness of, and a closer relationship of PHPC with PHPPS and PHPS.
- PHPC establishes a more visible platform for shaping Christian leaders.
- Future leaders of PCUSA are prepared at PHPC.
4.) THE MINISTRY AREAS OF PHPC ARE STRENGTHENED
- Specific goals for each of the PHPC ministries are established and achieved within targeted timeframes.