Welcome to Preston Hollow Presbyterian Church! We are so glad that your faith journey has led you here. We know that visiting a church can be an intimidating thing, so here is a list of frequently asked questions. Don’t hesitate to reach out if we can support you!
What values will I see present in the youth program?
• All belong. No exceptions.
• Ask the hard question. Faith and doubt go hand in hand, so don’t avoid wrestling with it.
• Be real. No filters or resumes are needed here.
• Be present. Phones are for another time.
• Include others.
• Be good stewards- no food waste, and no resource waste, whenever possible.
What schools are represented in the youth program?
Our students come from all over the Dallas area. We have students from nearby schools, such as Greenhill, Ursuline Academy, Hockaday, Jesuit, and St. Marks. We also have students at Highland Park High School, as well as the Richardson, Plano and Frisco school districts. Part of what we love about our program is how diverse it is. There is always room for you.
Is this community open and affirming?
Yes! We believe that all people are made in the image of God, and we celebrate each person’s God-given identity and call. We are constantly striving to ensure that all youth- regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, learning style, or ability- feel loved, at home, and safe in our space.
What leadership opportunities exist for youth?
Youth are regularly invited to serve as readers in worship (both in the sanctuary services and in the youth house). Every year we ordain youth to serve as elders and deacons, and we lean on our senior high youth to serve as small group leaders every September at the Junior High retreat!
What should I wear?
Dress in the youth house is casual. Come in whatever makes you feel comfortable!
Can we get coffee?
Maggie and Sarah are available each week for coffee and face-to-face get togethers! We would love to get to know you, so don’t hesitate to reach out!!
What if I’m not baptized?
No matter where you are in your faith journey, you are welcome here. Whether you are simply curious and exploring your faith, or if you’ve been raised in the church and can’t get enough of it- we have a spot for you! For those who are specifically curious about membership or baptism, we encourage you to reach out to Rev. Sarah Are ( ). There are opportunities for baptism every month, as well as membership opportunities four times a year.
What are some of the best youth traditions?
There are so many wonderful elements to the PHPC Youth program! Some of our favorite traditions have included the every-other year youth musical, our Summer Queso Tour, summer trips, the senior high spring break trip, Christmas lock-ins, and fall retreats!
Where is the Youth House located?
The youth house is a freestanding building located in the back parking lot. You can identify it by the large front porch with rocking chairs, and the gold “Youth House” sign over the front door. Park anywhere you want! There is a handicap-accessible entrance around the Walnut Hill side of the building.
What does Worship in the House look like?
Worship in the House is a unique worship service, designed specifically for youth (7th- 12th grade). Each Sunday, youth are invited to the youth house from 9:30- 10:30 to worship together. You can expect 2-3 songs led by the band, a scripture passage and theme for each week, plus some communal liturgy (Call to worship, passing of the peace, etc).
Can parents come to Worship in the House?
Parents will be invited once a semester to join us for a family Worship in the House! Those dates will be shared in our weekly newsletters.
We like to worship as a family. Is worship in the house a deterrent to that?
Worship in the House is different from any other worship service at PHPC, with its own sermon themes, so we also encourage youth to check out our sanctuary and Worship at 5 services! Going to other service will provide youth the opportunity to experience intergenerational worship, hear other pastors preach, listen to the choir, and sing along with the Worship at 5 band!
How can I support the youth program?
It takes a village to raise a child. If you are interested in giving back, we’d love your support! Here are five simple ways to give back: • Provide a meal for junior high youth group or Wednesday night bible study (e-mail Sarah Are) • Bake communion bread or provide doughnuts for worship in the house • Volunteer as a confirmation sponsor or a youth chaperone • Chaperone a youth trip • Give monetarily to the youth program, supporting new ministry initiatives and/or student scholarships
Preston Hollow Presbyterian Church has an active and vibrant youth group, and we want you to be a part of it! Interested in fellowship with friends? Join us for Sunday night youth group! Are you a senior high interested in going deeper in your faith? Join us for Wednesday night bible study! Love music? Join the band! Contact Sarah at Want a space to worship with your peers? Join us for Worship in the House! Whatever your interests are, we have room for you.
• Worship in the House: Sunday Mornings in the youth house, 9:30-10:30 am o Worship in the House is a unique worship offering designed specifically for teenagers (7th- 12th grade)! All youth are invited to gather in the youth house at 9:30 am every Sunday morning of the school year. As you enter you will be invited to make a name tag, visit with friends, and grab a doughnut or some coffee. Worship is led by the youth band and our youth team every week, so come ready to sing, learn and hang out. We’d love to have you there.
• Junior High Youth Group (7th and 8th Grade): Sunday evening, 6:15- 8 pm o Youth Group is one of the best two hour chunks of the week! All junior high are invited to join Maggie in the youth house, every Sunday night for games, dinner, fellowship time and a message. Friends are always welcome!
• Senior High Bible Study: There is no better mid-week pick-me up than Senior High Wednesdays. Doors to the youth house open at 6 pm for an hour of hanging out, games, homework time and fellowship. This space is your space, so use it as you need! Bring your books, or bring a friend. From 7-8, we’ll gather together for an hour of bible study and weekly check-ins. There are always a ton of snacks, so whatever you do, make sure you come hungry!
• Youth Band: Sunday nights from 6:30-7:30 in Founders Hall (more information in the music tab below!)
• Seasonal Youth Choir: Sunday mornings from 10:30- 11 am in the youth house
1. The Front Porch News Weekly Newsletter: Our weekly e-news update. E-mail Maggie Johnson ( ) or Rev. Sarah Are ( ) to add your name to the list!
2. Text Reminders!: About once a week we send out a text through Clubtexting with upcoming reminders. If you would like to sign up for these texts, e-mail Maggie or Sarah. You can unsubscribe at any time, by replying with the word “stop."
3. Instagram: Follow us on Instagram @phpcyouth for weekly photos and live event stories.
4. PHPC Youth! Facebook Group: This group is designed for parents and youth alike. Here you will find photos, links to the newsletters, and event invitations! You can find the group here.
Youth Summer Intern
Each summer we hire a college student to serve as a youth summer intern! The summer intern works alongside the youth team to offer meaningful programming and help build relationships. If you are interested in growing in your faith, giving back to the church, or exploring a call to ministry- this position is for you! Applications open in January of each year. Please reach out to Rev. Sarah Are with questions.
Confirmation is a season of communal faith development and exploration, designed to help us articulate what it is that we believe. At Preston Hollow Presbyterian Church, we invite all rising 9th graders to join together in the confirmation experience each fall, as we wrestle with questions such as “Who is God?,” “What does it mean to be a Presbyterian?,” and “What is grace?” To register for confirmation, please e-mail Rev. Sarah Are at .